Sunday, February 19, 2012

Looking for Lines

Alright, so my new assignment was to go around and take good pictures of that show great composition with lines. That was pretty much my instructions. Unfortunately the weekend I took these pictures and the week at school I was working on them, I had a terrible cold and felt miserable. Along with the mounting pile of algebra home work that was increasingly growing, and the constant need to study for next week's Spanish test, parading around looking for pictures wasn't something that I was really focusing on. Either way, I think the pictures that I took are pretty good. Mabey they don't necessary show what I was suppose to capture, but I think they show a good composition. 




                                                                Rule of thirds.

                                                                Shutter- 1/8
                                                                Aperture f/2.8
                                                                Exposure 0.00
                                                                Camera: DMC-L27

                                                 At least with my eyes the thing that I see right away is the two mysterious black shapes that are off to the side. It's not the greatest example. I think a true example of rule of thirds has less in the background. But if you think about it, the rest of the picture would be blank and it wouldn't be to interesting. My second picture 'Horizontal lines' I think is probley a better example.          
              



                                                      Horizontal lines
                                                    
                                                   Shutter- 1/8
                                                   Aperture f/2.8
                                                   Exposure 0.00
                                                   Camera: DMC-L27

                                  As I stated earlier, I thought this picture might be a better example of good rule of thirds, but on the other hand there is a strong emphases of horizontal lines. I think the horizontal lines are more impressing. This easily could be my favorite picture that I took. I think in black and white it looks much more dramatic. Well, checkerboards are black and white, but at least the contrast is more pure. This picture I think really shows the epic battle between the pieces before they are going to duke it out for ruler of square board.





Leading Lines.


Shutter 1/8
Aperture f/2.8
Exposure 0.00 
Camera- DMC-L27

I placed these to horsemen pieces together to show good contrast. But I think that there is also another more secret darker meaning to the opposite pieces close together. If you think of the game of chess like a real war and the pieces are living human soldiers, there is some strong emotions going on. The two horsemen are enemies and yet they probley share a lot of the same feelings as there struggling to fight for there side, fearing the unknown dangers of the other side... knowing that at any moment they could be sacrificed and destroyed. Sure, there just pieces playing a simple little board game, it's not nearly as real or dramatic as real life soldiers. But hey, it make for an interesting idea concept to think of. 


 Diagonal lines.  

Shutter 1/8
Aperture f/2.8
Exposure 0.00 
Camera- DMC-L27

Just a pile of Diagonal Lines on the Chess Board, not much to it really.
Notice that the camera setting never changed? Isn't that a bit suspicious. . .

Curved lines
Shutter 1/8
Aperture f/2.8
Exposure 0.00 
Camera- DMC-L27


Okay. So You are probley looking at this thinking: "Where are the curved lines?"
Right now I am thinking the same thing. But I think if you use your imagination and try to think of where curved lines might be on a cat, you can see them. Sure, bonus curved lines on the wood table. But I think the main curved lines are around the cats eyes. She also has some lines around the border edges of the ear and head. If you are not convinced that this is an example of curved lines, at least it will win you over with the cuteness factor. =) 
This photo was taken accidentally because while I was taking the pictures of the chess board my cat 'Katie' jumped up and started knocking down the pieces, being a real nusince as usual, when ever it looks like you might be having a slight bit of fun. I thought to myself that I should at least give her some attention and take a picture of her seconds before Cat-Zilla was out to raid the poor people and soldiers of the game of Chess. Here she is seconds before the attack.





1 comment:

  1. I really like the one with the cat peering over the table. thats really adorable and I really like the way her eyes look.

    ReplyDelete